Episode 1: Molecular Biologist turned Data Scientist with Jonathan Leslie
Dr. Jonathan Leslie obtained his Ph.D. in Biology from the University of London, studying blood vessel formation at the Cancer Research UK London Research Institute. After 20 years of researching the molecular processes underlying cancer, he turned to data science and founded a freelance consultancy business. He is passionate about promoting open-source software and routinely volunteers as a mentor in the R-programming and data science communities.
- (2:10) Jon reflects on his academic career and explained why he pursued an advanced degree in Biology. He also went over his post-doc fellowship at Cancer Research UK.
- (4:45) Jon discusses the zebra-fish project he worked on during his post-doc research at King’s College London.
- (8:13) Jon talks about the developmental biology work he did at the embryology lab at University College London.
- (10:00) Jon explains why biological data are noisy.
- (10:58) Jon explains his motivation behind his transition from academia to industry.
- (15:04) Jon’s advice for Ph.D. students and post-doc researchers who want to make a similar transition.
- (16:20) Jon talks about his freelance data science project to build a recommendation systems aiming at women struggling with Type 2 diabetes.
- (21:32) Jon talks about his experience running his data science consultancy business.
- (25:32) Jon’s advice to improve data storytelling skill.
- (26:59) Jon presents a high-level overview of his company Pivigo.
- (31:11) Jon talks about his role as Pivigo’s Head of Data Science.
- (34:50) Jon goes over the industries that are Pivigo’s clients.
- (36:30) Jon goes over the skills that data science talents need to develop.
- (37:53) Jon’s advice to transition from individual contributor to manager.
- (41:51) Jon mentions the talks he gave recently at O’Reilly Strata Data Conference in London.
- (46:48) Closing segment.
His contact info:
His recommended resources: