Episode 57: Building Data Science Projects with Pier Paolo-Ippolito
Pier Paolo Ippolito is a SAS Data Scientist and MSc in Artificial Intelligence graduate from the University of Southampton. He has a strong interest in AI advancements and machine learning applications (such as finance and medicine). Outside of his work activities, he is a writer for Towards Data Science and Freelancer.
- (2:20) Pier shared his college experience at the University of Southampton studying Electronic Engineering.
- (3:46) For his final undergraduate project, Pier developed a suite of games and used machine learning to analyze brainwaves data that can classify whether a child is affected or not by autism.
- (11:26) Pier went over his favorite courses and involvement with the AI Society during his additional year at the University of Southampton to get a Master’s in Artificial Intelligence.
- (13:40) For his Master’s thesis called “Causal Reasoning in Machine Learning,” Pier created and deployed a suite of Agent-Based and Compartmental Models to simulate epidemic disease developments in different types of communities.
- (26:51) Pier went over his stints as a developer intern at Fidessa and a freelance data scientist at Digital-Dandelion.
- (29:21) Pier reflected on his time (so far) as a data scientist at SAS Institute, where he helps their customers solve various data-driven challenges using cloud-based technologies and DevOps processes.
- (33:37) Pier discussed the key benefits that writing and editing technical content for Towards Data Science to his professional development.
- (36:31) Pier covered the threads that he kept pulling with his blog posts.
- (38:50) Pier talked about his Augmented Reality Personal Business Card created in HTML using the AR.js library.
- (44:19) Pier went over his experience working with data visualization tools such as Plotly, R Shiny, and Streamlit.
- (47:27) Pier talked about his work on a chapter for a book called “Applied Data Science in Tourism” that is going to be published with Springer this year.
- (48:37) Pier shared his thoughts regarding the tech community in London.
- (49:19) Closing segment.
Pier’s Contact Info